Students and Guests Gather for Glittering Graduation Ceremony
04 June 2019
The Institute was delighted to host our annual Graduation and Prize Giving Ceremony last week, 28th May, to present the certificates to students who have completed their international trade qualifications in the 2018/19 academic year.
Held at the Lord Mayor of London's residence, Mansion House, many students were present to collect their certificates and those who had achieved the highest marks in a qualification or module were presented with Awards to celebrate their achievements.
Prize winners included:
Level 3 Certificate in International Trade
- Highest Overall Mark in the Level 3 Certificate for International Trade - Rebecca Crawshaw from Optasense Ltd
- Highest Mark in the Introduction to International Trade Management module - Rebecca Crawshaw from Optasense Ltd
- Highest Mark in the International Transport and Documentation module - Sue Grewcock from Export Services Limited
Level 4 Diploma in International Trade
- Highest Overall Mark in the Level 4 Diploma in International Trade - Ross Jamieson from Spirit Aerosystems
- Highest Mark in the Finance in International Trade module - Sarah James from the Welsh Government
- Highest Mark in the International Physical Distribution module - Paul O’Brien from Scottish Enterprise and James Reid from GlaxoSmithKline
Level 5 Diploma in International Trade
- Highest Overall Mark in the Level 5 Diploma in International Trade - Kieran Wilcock from GlaxoSmithKline
- Highest Mark in the International Marketing Strategy module - Mark Bolt from Cyden
- Highest Mark in the International Logistics and Purchasing module - Julia Fernandez Alvarez from Wheelabrator Plus
- Highest Mark in the Management of International Trade module - Julica Beaton from Owen Mumford Ltd
- Highest Mark in the Practical Global Trading module - Jade Forshaw from Savers
Level 5 Diploma in World Customs Compliance & Regulations
- Highest Mark in the World Customs Compliance & Regulations module - Malgorzata Pachucki from Tudor Rose International
- Highest Mark in EU Customs Compliance & Regulations module - Steve Gourley from Momart Limited
- Highest Mark in the UK Customs Compliance & Regulations module - Mark Philcox from Dyson Technology
- Highest Mark in the World Customs Compliance & Regulations Project - Kevin Mitchell from Cirrus Logic International UK Ltd.
Each year we award Fellowship to the Institute to members who have made an exceptional contribution to the achievement of the Institute’s principal aims. At this year's ceremony, Maria Malinowska was presented with a Fellowship for her contribution to achieving the Institute's aims and objectives.
IOE&IT Director General, Lesley Batchelor OBE, paid tribute to Mike Josypenko, our much-loved Senior Director of Special Projects, who sadly passed away last year. The Mike Josypenko Award will be held in perpetuity and awarded each year to the student achieving the Highest Mark in the International Physical Distribution module of the Level 4 Diploma in International Trade – one of the modules for which Mike tutored students.
Last but not least, a Lifetime Achievement Award was presented to Douglas Fermie FIEx. Doug has made a huge contribution to the Institute over the last 25 years, having occupied many vital roles including Vice Chairman, Company Secretary and Acting Director General.
As well as awarding students with their certificates and prizes, we were honoured to have a selection of guest speakers at the event, including Alderman Sir David Wootton; Lars Karlsson, Business Area Global Consulting at KGH Customs; and Colin Davis MBE, Head of Customs Products and Processes at HM Revenue & Customs.
The overarching theme that all of the speakers touched upon was that of 'Lifetime Learning'.
Alderman Sir David Wootton, Lord Mayor Locum Tenens, commented: "It is in all our interests that this sector stays strong. It is a pillar of the UK’s export offer – alongside demand for other UK goods and commercial expertise..... including in engineering, design, Public Private Partnership, project & finance management, technology, innovation, creative industries, education and manufacturing.
"And Ladies and Gentlemen – whichever sector we work within, we have a responsibility to ensure that we are flying the flag for 'Brand Britain'.
"The people in this room today play an important representative role – looking after the relationships we have with our global partners."
After the formal ceremony, students and guests enjoyed a drinks reception sponsored by ICC solutions, where they celebrated their hard work and achievements.
Thank you once again to our award sponsors:
ICC Solutions Ltd
Strong & Herd
The Worshipful Company of World Traders
WMG University of Warwick
George Baker Shipping Ltd
You can view more photos from the event here