Suppliers around the world offer a wide variety of goods that might suit your business. You might be able to find lower-priced supplies, giving you a competitive edge, or new supplies that allow you to sell a completely different product. Just as when you buy within the UK, it's important to find good suppliers, make sure they offer what you want and negotiate the right deal.
Importing can also present complications, such as managing long-distance relationships and organising international transport and customs clearance. Common pitfalls can cause importers to incur unnecessary costs and delays in arrival of goods. Successful importing requires an understanding of customs rules and procedures as well as the duty and excise relief available.
This one-day seminar will consider the basic procedures, terminology and documentation involved in importing. It will give an overview of the entire importing process including supplier selection, evaluation of risks, supply chain, terms of delivery, methods of payment, selection of clearing agent, duty and excise and the role of UK customs.
Who should attend
- People who may be new to importing
- Existing importers seeking practical guidance
- The ability to make an informed choice of their preferred method of importing
- An understanding of the necessity for and appropriate selection of a clearing agent
- The ability to identify appropriate criteria for supplier selection
- The ability to evaluate source country risk
- The ability to select the most appropriate Incoterm
- An understanding of the implications of payment methods for securing delivery
- The ability to identify the documentation required and the parties responsible for preparation.
- An understanding of what should be included in a sales contract
- Understand the need for and where to acquire an import license
- An overview of the duties and excise payable and the reliefs available
The Presenter - John Robinson MBA MSc DipM FIEx (Grad)
John retired from a senior post in a NATO headquarters after a successful career in the RAF and merged second careers in both international trade and higher level teaching at a number of East Midlands colleges and universities where he taught all the Institute’s qualifications. Read more
Member price - £299 + VAT
Non-member price - £399 + VAT
Join the Institute from as little as £65 and save over £100 on your training course!
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
This course is CPD certified - 10 points
Before booking please make sure you read our training course terms and conditions. Booking a place on one of our training courses implies acceptance of these terms.
Dates and locations
To discuss our training courses:
Call +44 (0)1733 404400